Liverpool are plotting an audacious late-window spending spree that could exceed £200 million as Andoni Iraola looks to reshape his squad ahead of their Premier League opener against Newcastle United.

The Reds travel to St James’ Park this weekend to kick off their campaign, with Iraola eager to strengthen his options despite the uncertainty that comes with an open transfer window.

“I feel excited. I can feel it even in the atmosphere when you train with the players. You feel like this week is a little bit different,” Iraola said ahead of the trip to Tyneside.

The Liverpool boss added: “We’ve been preparing friendlies, we’ve been preparing for other opposition, but this smells different. I’m looking forward to being there on Sunday and feel the pressure and start a competition that is what we like.”

Iraola acknowledged the frustration of managing transfer uncertainty at the start of a new season, but insisted his focus remains firmly on the match ahead.

“I hate these two weeks or these 10 days that we have because there is a lot of uncertainty – but not in Liverpool, everywhere because once the market is open,” he said.

Behind the scenes, Liverpool have had two bids rejected for Brighton winger Yankuba Minteh, with offers of £50 million and £60 million both turned down, as Brighton hold out for in excess of £70 million including add-ons for the 22-year-old.

Journalist David Ornstein revealed on TNT Sports that the sale of Cody Gakpo will be pivotal to Liverpool’s transfer plans, particularly regarding their pursuit of PSG’s Bradley Barcola.

“Liverpool are prioritising Barcola, there’s no doubt about it. If they can get him from PSG, then I think we’ll see Gakpo leave,” Ornstein said.

Ornstein was unambiguous when asked whether Liverpool were targeting one winger or both, delivering a straightforward response: “No, both. Minteh for the right, Barcola for the left.”

Ornstein also offered context on the Minteh situation, noting: “Brighton know he’s a coveted talent, so they want in excess of £70 million with add-ons, and I’m not sure Liverpool will want to go quite that far, but I really like the look of this player and I think he could go to a level we’ve not seen so far.”

On the Barcola front, RMC Sport journalist Fabrice Hawkins confirmed PSG have no desire to retain the winger, with the transfer fee the only remaining hurdle to clear.

“There’s no intention to keep Bradley Barcola. The sticking point has been the valuation, where they started at €170m,” Hawkins said.

Hawkins added that a resolution appears close, stating: “Everyone involved in this deal thinks there will be an agreement,” with the fee expected to land somewhere between €130 million and €150 million.

Ornstein also noted the gap between the clubs remains a problem for now, saying: “It’ll all come down to the fee with PSG, and the gap is too big at the moment.”

Liverpool’s last visit to St James’ Park produced a memorable late win, with youngster Rio Ngumoha scoring, though it was a result that papered over cracks that would eventually contribute to Arne Slot losing his job.

With Brighton demanding over £70 million for Minteh and PSG refusing to sell Barcola for less than €120 million, Iraola’s summer recruitment drive could comfortably surpass the £200 million mark before the window closes.

Reese Morgan is a junior reporter at The Hotspur Way, covering a wide range of topics from sports news to local London developments and entertainment.